Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Get back, honk a cat!

Things around these parts are busy as always. We are more than half way through the school year. Isla is almost 6 months old. Time is just flying. I always feel like I don't have enough time for anything, but I am trying to at least make sure I have enough time to enjoy the kids during this stage of craziness.

Isla is changing daily.  She rolls both ways, she sings to herself, she can scootch and roll around if given enough time. She isn't eating solid food yet but has tasted a couple things.  I don't think anything magical will change next week when she turns 6 months.  We just might be a little more diligent about trying to feed her food.  Either way, she sits at the table with us during meal times and is a part of everything.

It is also that time of year, the annual "what do we do about school" time of year.  We have come to the conclusion that we are going to do public school next year.  It isn't a for sure thing, we still love our school, we just can't afford it anymore.  We aren't planning to take on more bills or anything like that, just use this next year to get back on track with things and really see what our money looks like,  Justin got a new pay structure at work and it has made it very hard to know whether or not private school is an option.  It could be fine, or we could just completely drown.  If something changes between now and the beginning of the school year, like some anonymous patron decides to pay for tuition or I somehow get offered a job with the same hours and way less money, then we will probably keep them at their current school.  But right now, it looks like public is the way to go.  I have some apprehension about it, but not really.  I am mostly feeling sad about leaving the school we love behind.  We were such a part of everything, and I know the staff loved my kids.  That is going to be really hard.  I am actually afraid I will feel the loss at every single school event I go to until the end of the year, including drop off and pick up.

 Ava is very excited.  She wants to meet new people and get to wear her own clothes.  She does have good friends at the school but she thinks she will see them again at other things.  She is excited about going school shopping.  She says she is excited to have a fresh start and a new chance to be a good student.  That statement in itself makes me question whether or not the private school has actually been that good for her.  Maybe it put too much pressure on her academically?  I have no idea.

Rhys is neutral.  He will be fine.  I have heard that it is hard to transition to public school for first grade only because it will be a lot of review.  The private school can require a lot more school readiness for their kindergarten so less time has been spent this year playing catch up.  They are both excited to take the bus.

I joined a tiny, little, cheap gym and committed to a 9 month Biggest Loser competition beginning Monday.  The length of the commitment is scary.  Finding the time to work out is scary.  Taking my before pictures is scary.  We will see how it goes.  A friend is doing it with me, so at least I am not all in alone.